The final Development Control Plan for the Northwood Shops (Pathways site) was adopted by Council at the 16 November 2020 meeting and took effect from 20 November 2020. The document has been included in Part D – Commercial Development and Mixed Use Localities of Council’s existing DCP.
Public exhibition in March-April 2018 of the planning proposal for a residential care facility attracted widespread interest from local residents plus comments from the Office of Environment & Heritage and the RMS. Community and Council comments, together with assessment by the Dept of Planning, Industry & Environment has resulted in a modification of the original (2017) Planning Proposal 29.
In detail, the DCP amendment here on exhibition reflects the following further adjustments:
- Reduce the max. building height to RL 66.25 metres (from 70.25);
- Reduce max. number of storeys along Northwood Road to 3 storeys (from 4);
- Reduce max. street wall height along Northwood Road to 2 storeys (from 3);
- Reduce max. number of storeys at the rear of the site to 5 storeys (from 6);
- Reinstate rear setback of 10 metres. (as per Part H of Council’s DCP);
- Replace on-site where possible all indigenous trees removed by development;
- Replace site entry mid-block off Northwood Road with egress further south with a limit of one entry/egress at the southern end of the site;
- Add through-site links and view corridors of width 4.5m, but a preference for 6m width;
- Add to inactive edges and blank walls the provision of screening, public art or `green’ walls;
- Require adequate soil depth along the side and rear boundaries to permit tree planting;
- Consideration of other measures such as drainage protection of the downslope soil and landscape in the adjacent reserve. Also, sustainability measures such as solar panels and natural ventilation;
- Provide new street trees and permeable paving to the existing Northwood Road verge and within the 3m setback to the proposal, and require that street front awnings do not compromise street trees;
- Increase the area of the roof garden.
Traffic matters are generally more appropriately addressed by the applicant at either the DA stage or have become broader than this site (e.g. the roundabout at Northwood/River Roads intersection).