|About Us | Activities | Achievement | Membership | Communications | Links|
The Lane Cove Bushland and Conservation Society is incorporated under the Associations Incorporations Act 1984, and has a constitution and organisation approved under the legislation.
The Society commenced in 1971 with the aim to save the bushland valley now known as Bushland Park, from being cleared and converted into an extension of 9 holes for the Lane Cove golf course. We successfully won that action and the Park is now listed on the Register of the National Estate due to rare fungi.
The members' energies were quickly harnessed into other environmental issues, such as volunteer bush regeneration groups, promoting the Bradley method of regeneration. Council took this up in 1978 when they employed contractors in 3 of the reserves.
Member Don Dove wrote the first Bushwalks in Lane Cove in 1982, and the book is now in its 7th edition (Available at Lane Cove Council or the library). Judy Messer wrote Growing Native Plants in Lane Cove. We lobbied for and promoted a Plan of Management for Bushland, which resulted in the Council's Bushland Management Advisory Committee, where we have 3 representatives on the committee.
We continue to monitor Development Applications for construction adjacent to bushland and make submissions on other environmental and conservation issues in the LGA and state wide.
We produced a history of the Society in 2012, Beyond the Untidy Fringe, written by |Virginia Macleod, again available at the library.
The aims of the Society:
ŠLane Cove Bushland and Conservation Society - Telephone: 02-9427 1125
All rights reserved
Maintained by: Bridget Kennedy